Take It Smiling
| WEB DESIGN | PAPER CRAFTING | PHOTOGRAPHY | BEING GREEN | MUSINGS | FIND ME ON THE WEB | WHAT'S IT ALL ABOUT |

Monday, October 26, 2009

Am I Overreacting?


Have you seen this ad for Southern Living? It says, "Today's Southern woman doesn't mind burning the candle at both ends. Especially if she's using her grandmother's candlesticks."
Really? With all that women do today, with the overwhelming majority of us feeling like we can never do it all, with most us finally learning the art of saying "No" as we get older... Really? I'm surprised that Southern Living is promoting a "do more" (read "you're not doing enough") mentality. I'm quite disappointed in them...
I composed the above paragraph in an email to Southern Living actually, but then I began to wonder, "Am I overreacting?" Do others feel this way or is it just me? What do you think? If a few of you comment that I'm not being overly sensitive and the message is downright weird, I'll send my complaint email.
Thanks for the feedback!

3 comments:

teachmama said...

hmmmmmm. I do think we need to empower more women to say 'no' to doing too much and running themselves down to make everyone happy. I like SLiving for the photos, recipes, and ideas, but for lifestyle/ health? Not so much. Would you expect the same from a magazine like Oprah's 'O'?

Cara Sue Achterberg said...

You are absolutely not overreacting. No one needs any more pressure on them to do more. I still struggle with the belief that I can do it all -build a career, be the perfect mom and spouse, volunteer at school and church, cook dinner every night and keep my house spot-less and cobweb free. THere's never enough time and plenty of guilt. Good for you for calling them on this.

MaryP said...

I agree. It's modern and forward-thinking to burn the candle at both ends? Since when is it a virtue to run yourself into the ground? It's a bad message and a foolish ad.

(And the word verification for my comment? 'objec'. Heh.)

Copyright ©2010 Andrea Diuguid. All content, including text, photographs and concept design elements featured in this blog are © Andrea Diuguid.